Some of you may recall an accident I had last year when one of my halogen spotlight clamps came loose while setting up a show. It slowly lowered and came to rest on one wall of my booth, burning a hole through one quilt, melting a hole in the mesh wall and burning another spot in a second quilt. In all, about a $1000 of damage. The above quilt, named Passages was one of them. Here is the burn on the back and the definitely discoloration on the front. I left it hanging in the closet for months, feeling discouraged and having no inspiration for how to fix it.
Last week I finally decided to tackle the job. I cut out the hole and added a patch to the back.
I then fused a piece of batting in through the front and then decided to applique some flowers onto the surface. At first I thought sunflowers would be nice but the colors just faded into the background. Poppies seemed to be the simplest and best contrasting color so here is the result.
I quilted them separately and then cut them out, batting and all, and appliqued them to the surface. I stitched down all the raw edges with a zig zag stitch with invisible thread. I also couched around all the raw edges. Here are some close ups.
All in all, I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out. It’s certainly bright and makes a statement!